Home Remedies to Get Rid of Tinea Versicolor
Tinea versicolor is scientifically named as pityriasis versicolor which is a kind of fungal infection of the skin. This disease is common in adolescents and young adults but anyone can be a victim of this disease.
Usually the skin’s surface is covered up with the fungi of the genus Malassezia but it is not harmful as it never causes any problems. It only affects the pigmentation of the skin.
Due to Tinea Versicolor, there will be seen brown patches on the skin which easily goes in the winter season but appear back in the hot summer days and increased humidity. It is also noticeable that the skin is scaly and dry these days which may also be the reason of itching.
Yet doctors do not give assured intention about why this fungus start growing abnormally on the skin but the possible factors are here such as humid weather, oily skin, excessive sweating, weak immune system and hormonal changes in the body.
Tinea Versicolor affects your emotional distress or self-consciousness but on the other hand it is not painful at all. You will find many antifungal treatments to get rid of this disease but you might become fail to get the expected results and sometimes those treatments indicate side effects. So you should try some simple, inexpensive home remedies to get rid of tinea versicolor.
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tinea Versicolor is an antifungal infection so tea tree oil is used to reduce the disease because it contains anti-fungal properties. Tea tree oil will prevent the reappearance of this disease and from spreading infection by providing the relief from itchiness.
- In 1 tbsp of extra-virgin olive or coconut oil, add almost 7 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply the solution on the affected area with the help of a cotton ball.
- Allow the solution to dry completely then rinse it with lukewarm water and pat dry gently.
- Follow the remedy two times for a few weeks.
Coconut oil is a wonderful remedy in case of fungal
infection so for the Tinea Versicolor. Coconut oil has medium-chain fatty acids
which work wonders as natural fungicides. It helps to stop the growth of the
fungi that are responsible for this infection.
2. Coconut Oil
- Apply directly some quantity of extra-virgin coconut oil on the affected parts of the skin then allow it to dry on its own.
- Alternatively, you can mix 1 tbsp of extra-virgin coconut oil and 6 drops of cinnamon oil in a small bowl. Apply this mixture to the affected skin then wait for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a famous remedy for all the skin problems as it contains a protein named as 14 KDa that has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe vera is therefore recommended to treat the Tinea Versicolor. Aloe vera contains many healing properties to heal the damaged skin.
- Extract the fresh aloe vera gel from an aloe vera leaf. Apply this gel directly on the affected areas 3 times daily for certain weeks.
- Another way is to mix a few drops of lavender essential oil in 1 tsp of aloe vera gel then apply on the affected areas for 3 times daily.
Yogurt used for this purpose would be plain and unsweetened. Yogurt is a natural cure for fungal infection like Tinea Versicolor. The probiotics do the magical function to stop the growth of this fungus and prevent reaccurance.
- Apply plain yogurt on the patches of the skin then leave it for 30 minutes. After that rinse it off with warm water.
- Also, eat 3 cups of plain yogurt regularly to fight against the yeast internally.
You can treat Tinea Versicolor at home using oregano
essential oil. It is one of the best antifungal oils which fights against the
fungi from growing further as well as it reduces the symptoms.
5. Oregano Oil
- Take equal amounts of oregano essential oil and extra-virgin olive oil in a small bowl and prepare a mixture.
- Apply this on the affected areas using a cotton piece.
- Leave it for 30 minutes then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this remedy only once daily for a few weeks.
Garlic is an anti-inflammatory ingredient and useful for
reducing the Tinea Versicolor. Its antifungal properties help to stop the
growth of fungi and provide relief from itching.
- Apply garlic clove directly or you can use the garlic juice on the affected parts. Wait for 20 minutes then take a bath. Do this remedy one time daily for few weeks.
- Also, you can consume 2 to 3 garlic clove with warm water on an empty stomach.
- Garlic supplements are also available in the drug stores to prevent any kind of skin infection. Consult the doctor before taking the supplement.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is commonly used for treating the skin infections and it works greatly due to its antimicrobial properties. Apple cider vinegar controls the abnormal growth of the fungi. In addition, it helps in preventing the return of the infection.
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and lukewarm water. Dab a cotton ball in this solution and apply it on the affected parts. Rinse it off after 15 minutes and follow this remedy for a few weeks.
- Also, mix 2 tbsp of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it two times daily.
Turmeric is the most common ingredient and contains healing properties so it’s also good for the Tinea Versicolor. It has natural antiseptic, antibiotic and antifungal properties which promotes the infection and recurring.
- Add 3 to 4 tsp of raw, unprocessed turmeric juice into a large jug of water. After taking a bath, pour this turmeric-infused water on the affected area of the skin.
- Another option is to mix equal amounts of turmeric powder and sandalwood powder together and mix them well. Add enough amount of water into this and prepare a paste. Apply this on the affected parts then leave for 30 minutes. At last, take a shower.
9. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac is commonly named as neem which is an effective way to treat the Tinea Versicolor. This herb contains antifungal, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. It helps to stop the growth of the fungi and heals quickly.
- Take a handful of washed neem leaves and boil them in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Strain the solution and allow it to cool at room temperature. Use this water to wash the affected area and do the remedy for a few weeks.
- Another thing is to grind neem leaves with water then apply this paste directly on the affected area. Allow the paste to dry and wash it with water. Follow this remedy once daily for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, soak a cotton ball in neem oil mixed with carrier oil like coconut or olive oil then apply on the areas where the infection is present. Do this remedy two times daily for at least 3 weeks.
10. Healthy Diet
Weak immunity is the basic reason to form Tinea Versicolor. You should concentrate on a healthy immune-boosting diet that is an important part of your treatment. Proper nutrition boost the immune system and help fight against the infection.
- Take a diet containing vitamins A, C, E and B helps give your immune system a healthy boost.
- Try to include fresh vegetables and fruits in your diet.
- Eat foods enriched with probiotics such as yogurt and kefir.
- Avoid too much carbohydrate in your diet as carbohydrate stimulates yeast production.
- Try to avoid using oily and greasy products.
- Don’t wear tight cloth but try to wear clothes enable you to take breathe easily like cotton fabric.
- Avoid excessive heat and sweating.
- Take shower daily and use a washcloth to exfoliate the areas as to reduce the amount of fungus on the skin.
- Wash your clothes, towels and washcloths regularly in hot water.