How to Get Rid of Spider Veins
Spider veins are also known as telangiectasias or angioectasias that are small dilated blood vessels.
Spider veins are visible like thin red or blue lines on the skin’s surface or mucous membranes. Most commonly they are appeared on the legs, hands and face especially around the nose, cheeks and chin.
These are just like weak or damaged valves in the veins. Several factors are there that may be responsible for this damage like poor blood circulation, heredity, age, blood clots, birth control pills, hormonal changes in the body, standing or sitting long periods of time, wearing too tight clothes, obesity, exposure to harmful ultraviolet (UV) sunrays and constipation.
Usually the spider veins are harmless but at the same time they look really weird and cause symptoms like swelling, pain, rashes, and throbbing, itching as well as restless legs.
At the same time they cause skin ulcers, bleeding, deep vein thrombosis and phlebitis. Spider veins are more of a cosmetic than health problem. Many people go for surgery but before getting through the complicated process, you should always go for the simplest way to reduce the problem like with natural remedies. There are many simple homemade treatments through which you can easily reduce the appearance of the spider veins, improve the symptoms, good circulation and recurrence of the condition.
Immediately consult with a doctor if you notice the veins are warm to touch, tender and painful. Here are some tips that you can easily do at home.
Ginger is helpful in improving the circulation and makes it very much effective for spider veins. It also breaks up the fibrin that is a type of protein produces in the injured areas of veins. According to the study of Indian Journal of Medical Sciences, it has been confirmed that ginger contains fibrinolytic property.
- Take 1 inch of fresh ginger root and cut it into thin pieces.
- Add the slices in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Simmer on low flame of heat for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution then add honey and drink it as a tea while it is still warm.
- Enjoy the ginger tea for 3 times a day.
Apple cider vinegar is a natural treatment for reducing the
spider veins. It helps in improving the blood flow and circulation due to which
swelling and pain are vanished.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take a piece of cloth with raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Place this cloth on the affected area for 20 minutes and do this for 3 times a day.
- Add 2 tsp of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and stir the mixture well. Add a little honey to taste and drink it two times daily.
3. Horse Chestnut
Horse chestnut is herb helps in strengthen the veins and reduce the uneasiness of spider veins. Horse chestnuts contain anti-inflammatory and anti-swelling properties. A 2006 study published in Advances in Therapies that horse chestnut is a real alternative treatment for patients with mild to moderate venous insufficiency.
- Apply directly a horse chestnut seed gel (easily available in the market) on the affected parts daily.
- Another thing you can do is mix 1 tbsp of horse chestnut tincture in 10 tbsp of distilled witch hazel. Apply on the affected area twice daily.
- You can also take supplements prepared with horse chestnut. Consult your doctor for the proper dosage.
Do massage regularly on the affected area which is another simple and easy method to improve circulation and helps in getting rid of spider veins. It also reduces inflammation and pain.
It is suggested to use extra-virgin olive oil and coconut oil for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Those oils quickly penetrate deep into the skin.
- Warm the oil slightly in a microwave oven.
- Use this oil to massage the spider veins.
- Massage for 10 minutes at a time for 4 times daily.
Spider veins are the reason of low or poor blood circulation and it happens especially on the legs. In this case, exercise is very helpful throughout the body which strengthens and improves the veins.
You should always do regular exercise that even helps in obesity and lowers the risk of other insufficiency problems.
- Walk at least for 30 minutes 5 times a week. After getting up, walk around every 3 hours for 10 minutes.
- Strength your calf muscles on the balls of your feet then slowly lower yourself back down for at least 15 minutes and do few times a day.
- Include activities related to the better circulation like jogging, climbing stairs, swimming in your daily routine.
If you have spider veins on your hands and legs, elevation
is the good way to reduce the pressure exerting on the veins and improves the
- To reduce the pressure of the spider veins on the legs, place a pillow under the legs while sleeping on your back. Keep the legs elevated for 15 minutes at a time. Follow the remedy for several times a day.
- For hands, elevate your hands by placing them on a few stacked pillows for 15 minutes. Do this for 5 times a day.
- Avoid the discomforts on your face due to the spider veins. Sleep on your back with your head and elevate with the help of soft pillows in a slight manner. Remember, your head should be a couple of inches above your body.
Compression stockings are available in knee-high, thigh-high
and waist-high lengths that are helpful to reduce the discomforts accompanying
with vein disorder. Compression stockings are only effective for the spider
veins visible on the legs.
7. Compression Stockings
When you wear the stocking during your daily activities so it provides extra support and relieve symptoms like swelling and pain along with improving the blood circulation.
It would be better to consult the doctor before buying the compression stockings so you should know that for how long you need to wear them in order to get rid of spider veins.
8. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is another herb that works to reduce the symptoms related to the spider veins. Witch hazel contains tannins and volatile compound that are helpful for strengthen the blood vessels and disappear the bulging veins. Not only this, it also tighten the distended veins and repair the normal structure.
- Dab a little witch hazel extract on the affected parts and let it dry on its own. Make sure you do not rinse it off. While noticing any improvement, daily use this once or twice.
- Alternatively, steep ½ cup of witch hazel leaves in 1 cup of hot water for 10 minutes. Take out the leaves and allow the water to cool down completely. Apply this water on the affected veins with the help of a cotton ball. Leave it for at least 15 minutes two times a day.
Arnica is a famous herb and freely used in homeopathic medicine. Arnica is therefore a helpful herb which reduces the aches and discomforts associated with spider veins. Due to the presence of several compounds in Arnica, it helps in eliminating the inflammation and swelling.
- Apply a little amount of an arnica-based gel or cream on the affected parts for 3 times a day.
- You can take arnica in a form of a pill after consulting the doctor for the proper dosage.
10. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is another essential ingredient to treat the spider veins and other related problems linked with poor blood circulation. A compound is present in cayenne pepper which improves blood circulation and eases the pain and swelling.
- In a cup of hot water, add 1 tsp of cayenne pepper powder and stir well together. Drink this solution two times daily until you feel yourself satisfied with the result.
- Add cayenne pepper in your daily cooking or take supplement after consulting your doctor.
- In order to reduce pain, apply capsaicin cream or gel on the affected areas.
- Do not cross the legs while sitting.
- Avoid standing or sitting in the same position at a time.
- Try to lose extra pounds and maintain a good health.
- Wear shoes that are comfortable to walk and avoid high heels for a long period of time.
- Avoid wearing girdles, tight pantyhose, garters or any other fitted clothes.
- Apply sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun rays. Exposure to ultraviolet rays will tend to develop the spider veins.
- Limit or stop the alcohol intake as those people will soon likely to have spider veins.
- Keep your eyes close to salt intake.
- Add high-fibered contents in your diet in order to reduce the risk of constipation.
- Keep your body always hydrated by drinking more and more water, fruit juices etc on the daily basis.