Home Remedies for Fluid & Water Retention
Water and fluid retention is a common problem and everyone can be going through this. If you ever feel swollen feet or bloated so you can’t be able to put shoes? In medical terms, it is known as edema.
Water retention refers as the accumulation of excessive fluid in body tissues. The most common body parts are feet and legs but sometimes, it can affect other body parts as well.
The most common factors depends upon water retention would be high intake of sodium, poor blood circulation, lack of exercise, vitamin deficiencies, venous insufficiency, pregnancy, stress, menstruation, exposure to high altitudes, hot weather, high blood pressure, heart disease, kidney disease, lung disease, liver disease, thyroid disorders, intake of several medications and oral contraceptive pills.
The important and usual symptom might be seen in water retention is swelling and puffiness in the affected body parts. Due to this problem, you may suffer with stiff joints, weight changing, bloated feeling and increased blood pressure and pulse rate.
Here are some home remedies to reduce the water retention easily yourself.
According to 2009 study, it has been established by the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine that dandelion contains diuretic effect. In this way, dandelion is capable of removing the excess of fluid from your body.
Dandelion is also packed with potassium that helps to reduce the sodium levels inside your body. On the other hand, the magnesium present in it is helpful for good relief during menstrual cycles.
- Take one tsp of dried dandelion herb and steep in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes. Strain the solution and drink this tea three times a day.
- You can take dandelion tincture or supplements of 500 mg one to three times a day.
Consult your doctor first before starting any herbal remedy.
Parsley is also good like dandelion and contains diuretic properties.
- Prepare a parsley tea by adding two tsp of dried parsley leaves in a cup of boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes and drink at least three times a day.
- You can also take a mixture of fresh parsley juice and lemon juice.
3. Epsom Salt
You should take Epsom salt bath to reduce the water retention from your body and a bloated tummy as it will do the reverse osmosis procedure. It will help to draw out excess fluids and toxins from your body. After taking this relaxing bath, your body will be soothing the sore muscles and calms the nerves.
- In bathwater, mix two cups of Epsom salt.
- Soak your body in for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process three times a week.
The fresh lemon juice will flush out the toxic substances out of your body.
- In a cup of warm water, mix two tbsp. of lemon juice. Sweeten it with honey.
- Drink the prepared solution.
- Continue taking this remedy once daily for few days or until you see improvement.
5. Fennel Seeds
Fennel works as a diuretic due to which it increases the sodium and water out from the kidneys. It prevents the toxins to build up again in the body.
- In a cup of hot water, put one tsp of fennel seeds.
- Cover the lid and steep for 10 minutes then strain the solution.
- Drink this tea three times a day until you see any improvement.
Nettle is also a diuretic and it prevents to reduce the water retention.
- Mix one tsp of powdered nettle root in a cup of water then boil the solution.
- Steep for 10 minutes then drink the tea three times a day.
7. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry juice is another popular remedy to reduce the excess fluid from your body due to its diuretic properties. Cranberry is enriched with magnesium, potassium, and calcium which help in maintaining the fluid balance. Drink a cup of sweetened cranberry juice to relief the symptoms. Take cranberry pills too.
Aromatherapy is very useful to reduce the water retention and stimulates the lymphatic system and fluid drainage.
- In a warm bathwater, add 20 drops of each geranium, cypress and juniper essential oils.
- Soak in for at least 10 minutes.
- Do this remedy three times a week.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar relieves the water retention by filling the potassium in the body and help reducing the sodium levels.
- Add one tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it twice daily. Increase the dosage of apple cider vinegar up to two tbsp per glass.
- If you have fluid retention in your legs, soak your feet in a warm foot bath made of equal parts of apple cider vinegar and warm water for 10 minutes. It will reduce the foot odor too.
Onions also have diuretic and cleansing benefits for blood. It also prevents the formation of kidney stones.
- Take few raw onions and boil in four cups of water.
- Add salt to taste then strain the solution.
- Drink three cups of it for a few days.
You should try eating more food containing diuretic like cabbage, cucumbers, celery, bananas, watercress, watermelon and pineapple. These all foods are rich in water and very much effective to reduce the water retention in just few days.
I am showing you one easy drink to reduce swelling caused by water retention. This recipe is great also for reducing PMS symptoms and cramps.
Along with this, drink more and more water throughout the day. Limit your salt intake, drink less alcohol and exercise regularly.
- 1 whole cantaloupe
- 2 cucumbers
- 4 ribs of celery